Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Rolls and Crusts

In a recent Relief Society meeting, they gave this great recipe for 60 minute rolls. They talked about how more cost effective it was than frozen Rhodes rolls or rolls from the bakery. There's no preservative or unknown extras. With all the low carb hype, they even mentioned something about it being healthy to eat all the bread you want, as long as you make it yourself. If you put in the effort and make it with good ingredients, moderation is more likely and you can enjoy what you eat. So here are some of my go to recipes.


60 Minute Rolls:


In a large bowl (I use my kitchen aid with the whisk attachment) thoroughly mix:

1 1/2 C. flour
3 T. sugar
1 t. salt
5 1/2 t. yeast

Combine in sauce pan:

1 C. milk
1/2 C. water
1/4 C. butter

Heat over low heat until liquids are very warm (120-130 degrees) but not boiling. Butter does not need to melt.

Gradually add liquids to yeast mixture and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed (you could also use an electric mixer), scraping sides of bowl occasionally.

Add 1/2 C. flour.

Beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.

Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough (ending up having used 3 1/2-4 1/2 C in all). At this point I switch to the dough hook attachment and mix until dough forms ball and comes away from sides. By hand, you would turn out onto floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. When you push a finger softly into the dough it should come away clean.

Place in a greased bowl. Place the bowl in a pan or pot of hot water (about 98 degrees), similar to a double boiler. Cover and let rise 15 minutes until double.

Divide dough, shape into rolls, and place on baking sheet or pan. Cover. Let rise in a warm place, free from draft for about 15 minutes until double again.

Bake at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes or until browned and done.

Notes: So it does make more mess in the kitchen than store bought rolls but again, I do it one day and make extra batches to freeze so I clean up less - not every day we want to eat rolls.

I usually substitue at least 1 cup of whole wheat flour for white flour. I'm trying to ween my family onto greater amounts of whole wheat. Since I don't go through that much whole wheat flour, I keep it in a ziplock in the freezer. Allow the amount you're going to use to come to room temp before mixing into recipe for better results.

I have found the best freezing results are when I cook them normally all the way through, cool, then freeze. I try to catch them when they are just barely browned but I don't always and even if they are nicely browned they still freeze ok. I always layer in a single row on cookie sheets and place in freezer. When hard, I transfer to gallon freezer ziplock bags to store. To eat later, warm in oven for 5 minutes or just microwave for those kids who can't wait. Use within 6 months.

You could shape this into anything - bread loaves, bread sticks, etc.


Easy pizza dough:

3 1/2 C. flour
2 pcks dry active yeast
1 t. salt
1/2 t. sugar
1 1/2 C. lukewarm water
1/2 t. olive oil

Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Gradually add water while kneading with dough hook or by hand. Knead until firm and smooth (about 10 minutes). Place in an oiled bowl, turning to coat top also. Let rise until doubled (about 1-2 hours).

Preheat oven to 500 degrees (I usually do 450).

Using hands or rolling pin, work 1/2 dough into desired shape. Top and bake 10-12 minutes.

Freezer meals:

Option 1 - Assemble pizza in foil pan. Cover and freeze. Allow to thaw in fridge the night before. Bake as above.

Option 2 - After dough has risen, punch down then place in oiled freezer ziplock. Freeze. Allow dough to defrost/rise on kitchen counter 8-12 hours. Assemble, top, bake.

Notes: So I've done this recipe and used half the night I made the dough for pizza and frozen the other half. With the other half, I made a chicken bake thing by rolling the dough out into a rectangle on a cookie sheet that I had sprinkled with cornmeal. Then I layered some fresh, clean, dry spinach leaves down the middle. Top with sliced cooked chicken (I'll share the Rosemary Ranch marinade later), thinly sliced onions, cheese, whatever else you want (maybe mushrooms, roast red peppers, etc.). Fold sides of dough over top and pinch to seal all edges. Brush some ceaser dressing over top and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Bake like the pizza recipe. Allow to cool a few minutes before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment