Saturday, May 1, 2010

Freezer Meals

So this year, we've been trying to cut our food budget. I've found that one thing that has really helped is for me to make freezer meals, instead of buying pre-made frozen meals like bertolli's, etc. We were in the habit of using those a few times per week because they were so quick and convenient and everyone here loves pasta. It's also cut down on the eating out because there's already something for dinner so we don't run out and get something or go out to eat. I have to thank my friend Shelly for introducing me to the wonderful world of freezing. Thanks Shelly G.!

Yes, it takes more planning on my part. Yes, it takes more work on my part. Yes, it saves us money - like hundreds. First of all, none of it goes to waste because there's very little left overs (I'm not a big left over fan. If you are, just make more food). I portion things out into what we will really eat. Sometimes it's a whole recipe, sometimes it's half, sometimes it's 2/3 of a recipe for when the whole family is home and 1/3 for when Tui's out of town. Second, I make multiple meals with the big ticket item (the meat!), instead of eating it all for one meal. Third, you could shop sales and save even more, making meals according to what's on sale (I'm not there yet but it's a good idea).

Please keep in mind good freezing procedures. It's a waste if the food goes bad before you can use it because of bad packaging or sanitation. Lots of good info on the web. Maybe I'll post about it later or one of you are welcome to!

So, about twice a month, I figure out which meals I want to make, do a big shopping, cook a bunch of meals and freeze them. It's a lot of work but only 2-3 times a month. Every other day is great! I pull out a dinner the night before and there's almost no prep for dinner.

If I'm really good, I plan the week ahead by seeing what I have in the freezer and picking sides and veggies to go with. Then, I just have to buy fresh produce, milk and snacks that week.

So a lot of the recipes I post will be freezer friendly and include those instructions. If you don't want to prepare as a freezer meal, they don't have to be. They're good fresh too! But you might want to try it - you'll like it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment