Monday, September 26, 2011

Miss A's favorite scones

Found this scone recipe and made a few tweaks.  I'm calling them this because my youngest (aka Miss A) would eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dessert if I wasn't trying to give her a well rounded diet.  Doesn't hurt that the version I made for her has mini-chocolate chips.  She LOVES her chocolate!  I don't mind letting her have them for breakfast because of all the other good stuff in them.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 C white flour (original recipe called for whole wheat but it was a little too hardy for us... I bet oat flour would be great too.)
1 T baking powder
3 T sugar
1/8 t salt
5 T cold unsalted butter
zest of half an orange (original recipe called for zest of one lemon)
1/2 C mini chocolate chips (original recipe called for 3/4 - 1C blueberries, fresh or frozen)
1/2 C plain low fat greek yogurt (I used 0% fat yogurt by Fage)
1/2 C low fat milk (I used skim)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Combine flours, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl and whisk together.
3. Slice cold butter and drop into dry ingredients.  Cut in with a pasty cutter or knife.
4. Add zest and chocolate (or berries).  Gently stir.
5. Gently mix in yogurt and milk.  Eventually you'll need to use your hands to knead in the last of the flour into the dough.
6. Form into a circle that's about 1" deep all around.  Cut circle into 8 slices.
7. Separate slices and place on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper or foil.
8. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.

I was surprised at how easy it was to throw this recipe together.  Second time around, I double it and froze them.  Each morning (or whenever Miss A wants one), I just pull one out and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment